The idea of playing and learning may seem contradictory. However, this is the way children learn during the first years of education. The value of the game to create a holistic environment is huge. It is through play that children learn so many basic skills.
Play is an aspect of learning that children enjoy. It is not threatening and the environment surrounding the game is attractive. Giving children the right play materials and the right environment to play encompasses the principles of comprehensive development.
Parents should give their little ones time to explore and familiarize themselves with their surroundings. It is also important to create a safe playing environment with the right toys and educational resources.
The safe gaming environment
Knowing that you have a safe environment for your child to play is a very important aspect of holistic education. Parents should be calm when it comes to activities in which their children are involved. Children need a safe area where they can explore freely and actively.
Here are some points to consider when creating that safe area for gaming activities.
- Make sure that the floor is leveled, with a protective cover. It could be a rubber mat or a rug, but something to protect your child from inevitable sharp falls.
- Keep the age-appropriate outdoor gear. Remember to check if it is safe to use, if it does not have unwanted nails or chips and if it is in good condition.
- Dispate the equipment so that there is enough space to run between the elements.
- Beware of sharp edges or dangerous pointed toys. Avoid such toys, especially with your toddler.
- If the play area is outside, it must be a fenced area for security. In particular, you need to be attentive to any kind of water hazard.
- Keep all hazardous substances away from a free play area. You should know that your child is safe so that a free scan can be done.
- Buy the toys wisely. Check the size, not too small with spare parts that can be a choking hazard or too large and unmanageable. It is advisable to check with which materials they are made to see if there are parts that may fall out or are peeling and breaking.
- Organize toys and store them in a safe and accessible place. A basket of toys is a good idea so that toys can be easily stored at ‘time to order’.
- Don’t take out too many toys at once. Rather, choose a few at a time and change the contents of the toy basket from time to time.
- Show your child how to play with toys to teach them to respect the things they play with. This is especially true for books. Show your child how to turn the pages and not break the role of beautiful storybooks.