At about 6 months, babies are starting to eat solids and it’s time to start sitting them down to eat. It’s right at this time that one of the most necessary items in a baby’s life comes into play: the highchair.
The highchair provides a safe place from which to experience different flavors and textures. In addition, from there, the baby can observe everything that happens around him and will feel part of the family. There is a wide variety of high chairs, with different styles, materials and prices. Some are even multifunctional.
To make it easier for you to choose, I have prepared a very complete article with everything you need to know about high chairs, apart from a selection of what I consider to be the best.
- 1 Discount Baby high chairs now on Amazon
- 2 These are the best 3 Baby high chairs
- 3 What is a high chair?
- 4 At what age can we put the baby in a high chair?
- 5 Where to buy a high chair?
- 6 Types of high chairs for babies
- 7 How to choose the high chair that suits you best?
- 8 What is the best high chair on the market?
- 9 My favorite high chair is…
Discount Baby high chairs now on Amazon
Take advantage of these limited time offers
These are the best 3 Baby high chairs
I will not show you thousands of products, only the 3 best baby high chairs currently
Graco Slim Snacker High Chair
Graco EveryStep 7 in 1 High Chair
Graco Blossom 6 in 1 High Chair
What is a high chair?
A high chair is a high-legged chair for babies or toddlers with armrests and a small tray in front that serves as a table. They usually have fasteners to hold the child in place and prevent him/her from falling or slipping.
There are high chairs that are not so many chairs as lifters that are placed on top of normal chairs and serve to elevate the child’s position. They are ideal for meals outside the home.
At what age can we put the baby in a high chair?
As soon as your baby starts eating solid food, around 6 months, you can put him in a highchair. In addition, you can use it until the age of 2-3 years.
Without a doubt, the high chair is one of the baby items you will get the most out of, so it is important to choose well.
Where to buy a high chair?
The high chair is one of the most common products, so you can find it in a wide variety of places: neighborhood stores, department stores specializing in maternity, department stores or online stores. These last ones usually have the best prices, apart from offering comfort and variety.
As for online stores, there is everything, but I always bet on Amazon. It has variety and good prices, usually the best. It’s true that with Amazon you can’t try the high chair before buying it, but the truth is that it has solved this possible “inconvenience” very well.
With Amazon, if once you have received the high chair you are not convinced for whatever reason, you can return it quickly and easily, without having to give any explanation and without any extra cost.
On this page, I will leave you the best updated offers that I will find.
Types of high chairs for babies
There are several types of high chairs for babies depending mainly on the materials they are made of and their functionalities.
Metal and plastic high chairs
These models are usually quite simple. Some high chairs are just molded plastic with harnesses; others have a cover with padding on the seat. Some have trays, but others do not. Also, some fold or have wheels, making them easy to move and store
They are usually inexpensive, however the most basic ones are less comfortable than other models and dream of being more difficult to clean.
Wooden high chairs
Wooden high chairs are very resistant, stable and easy to clean, but they take up a lot of space, are heavy and can be uncomfortable if they do not have a padded seat.
Evolutionary high chairs
These high chairs have the ability to transform as time passes and the child grows. It is a high chair, but it can also be converted into a booster seat or a child seat. Some even become a seesaw. It’s a great option if you want to take advantage of the high chair for a long time.
Folding or portable high chairs
Portable high chairs consist of a seat that attaches to a table or that is placed on top of a kitchen or dining chair. These high chairs have a very small footprint and are usually less expensive than standard high chairs. They are ideal for any meal outside the home.
How to choose the high chair that suits you best?
When choosing the highchair that is best suited to you and your baby, consider the following aspects:
- Type: this depends on your taste, but take into account the size of the highchair and the space you have at home.
- Tray: the most convenient option is a high chair with a removable tray, which can be easily washed. Some trays also have a dishwasher-safe cover.
- Easy to clean: high chairs with a fabric covering tend to accumulate more dirt in each corner or nook and are more difficult to clean, unless they can be removed. The best ones to clean are plastic or wood.
- Versatility: Some high chairs have the ability to evolve with the child since, in addition to being high chairs, they can be converted into a booster seat, chair or rocker.
- Adjustable: the ability to adjust the height and distance of the tray is very useful as the child grows and expands.
- Comfort: a padded seat and a footrest are elements that help the baby to be comfortable sitting.
- Safety: the high chair should have a 3- or 5-point harness to prevent the child from getting up or slipping. The harness straps should be adjusted to fit the child’s growth.
- Easy to use: it is very important that you find it easy to sit your child in the high chair and to lift him/her from it. Check the seat harness to see if it buckles and unbuckles easily.
- Wheels: With wheels, the high chair can be moved more easily from one side of the house to the other. It is true that not all models need wheels, as some fold completely and are very light, so they can be easily transported, without the need for wheels. In case you carry them, it is very important that they can be locked to prevent the high chair from moving accidentally.
- Price: Without a doubt, the price will also influence your decision, but I do not advise you to look for cheap high chairs as we are talking about the safety and comfort of your baby.
What is the best high chair on the market?
There is no better high chair. There is only one that is right for you and your baby. In order to make the right choice, it is important that you take into account the different aspects I mentioned earlier.
My favorite high chair is…
The truth is that they are all good high chairs. Each one has its own characteristics and functionalities, but if I had to choose one I would keep it:
Graco’s Slim Snacker is the ultra-fast folding highchair, with a one-hand, one-second fold. Moms (and dads!) will love how easy it is! Once folded, it’s ultra-compact, so it fits in small spaces and is self-standing for easy storage.