Babies love gentle movement. It reminds them of the womb where they moved with the movement of our body. That’s why they love to be held and rocked.
However, even if we want to, it is impossible to hold them all day, but that is why hammocks exist. These padded chairs swing gently to calm and entertain the baby, while you prepare dinner, take a shower or get dressed, for example. This wonderful invention gives your arms a rest without having to put the baby to bed in the crib.
Most models can be used from birth until about 6-9 months. In addition, they are very safe, as they have a harness or belt that holds the baby even if he moves.
- 1 Discount Baby Hammocks now on Amazon
- 2 These are the best 3 Baby Hammocks
- 3 What is a baby hammock?
- 4 When can we put the baby in the hammock?
- 5 Where to buy a hammock for your baby?
- 6 Types of baby hammocks
- 7 How to choose the right hammock for your baby?
- 8 Which is the best hammock?
- 9 My favorite hammock is…
Discount Baby Hammocks now on Amazon
Take advantage of these limited time offers
These are the best 3 Baby Hammocks
I will not show you thousands of products, only the 3 best baby hammocks currently
Cateam Canvas Baby Hammock Swing Ivory
BINXY BABY Shopping Cart Hammock Little
BINXY BABY Shopping Cart Hammock
What is a baby hammock?
A baby hammock is a padded chair that normally tilts and swings. It’s ideal for a baby’s first months of life when he or she is not yet crawling or walking, because it allows you to keep your baby safely close by while you do other tasks. In addition, it has a fastening system by means of a harness or a belt so that the baby cannot fall or slip.
The hammock, unlike the cradle, allows the baby to see what is happening around him, thus feeling more integrated into the family activity.
When can we put the baby in the hammock?
You may have heard that you have to wait until your baby is about two months old to put him/her in the hammock, when he/she will be able to hold his/her head up on his/her own, but this is not true. In the hammock, the baby is bent over, so his or her head is supported by the backrest and the neck doesn’t have to be held all the way.
Another thing is that newborns don’t feel very comfortable in the hammock because they don’t yet control their body weight and tend to squirm or lean to one side.
In conclusion, you can put your baby in the hammock from birth, but you should check how he or she feels, if he or she is comfortable. If not, wait a while.
Finally, when your baby starts crawling or walking or is very active, it’s advisable to stop using the hammock to avoid risks.
Where to buy a hammock for your baby?
In any baby product store, including online stores, which offer convenience and variety and usually the best prices.
The only “but” is that you can’t “check” the hammock before you buy, however stores like Amazon solve it very well.
With Amazon, if once you have received the hammock you are not convinced for whatever reason, you can return it quickly and easily, without any explanation or extra cost.
In addition, the range of hammocks offered by Amazon is wide. You are sure to find one that is right for you. They also sometimes have offers on baby products with savings of up to 40% compared to “traditional” stores.
On this page, I will leave you the best updated offers that I can find.
Types of baby hammocks
You have to take into account that inside the baby hammocks, there are many options. Below, we will explain the main models.
Simple hammock or baby hammock
It is the simplest model of all and usually the cheapest. It simply has a smooth rocking motion when you move it, for a few seconds, before it stops completely.
The disadvantage of this type of hammock is that sometimes the baby wakes up when the movement stops and you have to be constantly moving it.
Baby Swing or Lounger Hammocks
If your baby usually stops crying when he’s on the move, a baby swing may be the perfect solution.
There are many different options to choose from. Some have stuffed toys and music; others are simpler, with just a rocking seat. When choosing one, you have to consider whether you prefer it to be battery powered or plugged in.
You also have to consider the dimensions of the swing, as some take up quite a bit of space and may not be suitable for your home.
A rocker has a sloping base so you can gently rock your baby while he or she is lying down. This movement helps some babies calm down.
A rocker may also be able to recline at different angles, so the baby can watch what you’re doing.
Some are simple, plain seats, while others have lots of extras to keep baby entertained.
These types of hammocks in their more modern (and expensive) version can be electric hammocks that generate constant movement without the baby having to move.
A travel hammock works in the same way as a normal hammock, but with the added advantage that it can be folded for easier transport and storage.
It is perfect whether you have space problems at home or when you are travelling.
How to choose the right hammock for your baby?
When choosing the most suitable hammock for you and your baby, I suggest you consider the following aspects:
- Look at the label or product information for the ages and weights recommended by the hammock manufacturer. Using a hammock with excessive weight can cause it to tip over.
- Take into account the size of the hammock and the space you have at home. It is advisable that it is easy to move as you will be using it in several rooms of the house.
- Opt for hammocks that can be reclined in various positions and that have a firm locking system that allows them to be completely fixed. Being able to adjust the inclination of the seat makes the hammock usable for longer. For example, newborns like to be very reclined in order to sleep, while older babies prefer to be a little more upright to watch everything that’s going on around them.
- How long your baby should stay in a hammock will also be important.
- Check the support system. It should prevent the baby from falling or slipping out of the hammock. It should also be adjustable for a perfect fit. It’s important that it has a safety latch so that the baby can’t let go on his or her own.
- It is convenient that the lining of the hammock is easily removed for washing or that it is made of a plasticized material that allows easy cleaning.
- Make sure there are no parts that stick out unprotected.
- Make sure the backrest holds the baby correctly.
- The support base must be wide and sturdy for stability.
- Some hammocks have handles for comfortable transport. Make sure they are firm and well attached to the structure. To check their resistance, pull them tightly.
- If you are going to use the hammock outside, for example in the garden or on the terrace, choose a model that has an awning or canopy to protect your baby from the sun.
- There are hammocks with vibration. Some babies find them relaxing, but others don’t like the feeling at all. Let your baby try it out first.
- There are also hammocks with activity arches and other accessories. Ask if they can be removed, as they can be uncomfortable.
- Hammocks should always be placed on the floor, never on another rigid surface, even if it’s wide and flat. Likewise, they should never be placed on armchairs or sofas, since their balance would not be assured.
- Remember that it is not allowed to use any type of hammock in the car.
Which is the best hammock?
There is no such thing as the best hammock, only the most suitable for you and your baby, as it is vital that he feels comfortable in it. For your choice to be correct, it is important that you take into account the different aspects that I mentioned just before.
Anyway, to make it easier for you to compare, I have made a comparison table (I update it frequently) with my selection of what I consider the best hammocks. To make it, I have based it on my own experience as well as on the experience of other mothers.
My favorite hammock is…
The truth is that they are all good hammocks. Each one has its own characteristics and functionalities, but if I had to buy a hammock for my baby I would keep it:
Сanvas baby hammock swing designed for children from 0 months to 3 years old. Swings toddlers are made with 100% upholstery fabric. Our pillows are stuffed with 100% polyester hypoallergenic stuffing. The wooden dowels are untreated and polished to perfection.
It’s versatile, you can use it longer than others, it takes up little space and is easy to transport which is very much appreciated when you travel and your child will have a lot of fun as soon as he or she can balance on their own, apart from developing their motor skills.
It is one of the best-selling and best rated hammocks, so although I don’t like to recommend any particular item, I know I will get it right for sure.